PNG to close borders after confirmation of first Covid-19 case
Quoting Radio New Zealand – 21 March 2020
“The prime minister of Papua New Guinea has announced a raft of restrictions in response to the country's first confirmed case of the Covid-19 coronavirus.
“In a news conference broadcast streamed by EmTVonline on Friday evening James Marape confirmed that a 45-year-old mine worker who had travelled to Papua New Guinea from Spain via Singapore, earlier this month, had tested positive for Covid-19.
"To confirm further we ran two tests. One test proved negative, but it wasn't conclusive, but a second test proved positive," Mr Marape said.
“But James Marape was quick to offer reassurances saying the man was in isolation and that follow up tests with people who had come into contact with him all came back negative for the coronavirus.
“Mr Marape said a one-week ban on all international flights would start on Sunday 22 March to allow health authorities to screen recent travellers and prepare health facilities to deal with any further spread of the coronavirus in the country”.
Copyright @ 2020, Radio New Zealand.